"The gift of special Indulgences is granted to the faithful suffering from COVID-19 disease, commonly known as Coronavirus, as well as to health care workers, family members and all those who in any capacity, including through prayer, care for them."
- Decree of the Apostolic Penitentiary
on the granting of special Indulgences to the faithful
in the current pandemic, 19 March 2020
The Pope granted plenary indulgence to:
1) Those who are suffering because of COVID-19, whether in hospitals or in their homes
"The Plenary Indulgence is granted to the faithful suffering from COVID-19 who are subject to quarantine by order of the health authority in hospitals or in their own homes."
The conditions are:
(1) a spirit detached from any sin
(2) uniting spiritually through the media to:
the celebration of Holy Mass
the recitation of the Holy Rosary
the pious practice of the Way of the Cross
other forms of devotion,
OR if at least they will recite the Creed, the Lord's Prayer and a pious invocation to the Blessed Virgin Mary, offering this trial in a spirit of faith in God and charity towards their brothers and sisters
(3) the will to fulfill the usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer according to the Holy Father's intentions) as soon as possible
2. Health care workers, family members, and all those who, following the example of the Good Samaritan, expose themselves to the risk of contagion to care for the sick.
"Health care workers, family members and all those who, following the example of the Good Samaritan, exposing themselves to the risk of contagion, care for the sick of Coronavirus ... will obtain the same gift of the Plenary Indulgence under the same conditions."